The first 12 months of the program are devoted to preclinical studies, and the remaining 12 months to clinical experiences in primary care and the medical and surgical specialties. All courses are required, no transfer credit is accepted, and no credit is awarded for pre-admission experiential learning. Students will complete 58 course credits for the preclinical year.
The preclinical year curriculum builds on the prerequisite coursework and clinical experiences that students have completed prior to matriculation. Initial instruction in courses such as Basic Medical Sciences, Anatomy, and Physiology forms the foundation for the integrated medicine courses that follow.
The multi-term Clinical Medicine, Pharmacology and Diagnostic Methods courses form the backbone of the preclinical year curriculum and are presented concurrently in body system units to reinforce content and help students synthesize material across disciplines. The Patient Assessment and Counseling courses offer instruction in history taking, physical examination, counseling, and presenting and documenting medical information. The Practice and the Health System course provides an introduction to the structure and administrative principles used in healthcare organizations, in addition to a review of professional organizations, health policy trends, third party payment, legal issues, and the unique place that PAs hold in the healthcare system.
The Evidence-Based Practice course provides a practical approach to critical evaluation of the medical literature and its’ application to patient care. In the robust Surgery course, students learn the concepts, skills, and medical procedures to function in primary care and major surgical areas.
Courses of Instruction
Course credits are the recognized units for academic work in the Duke Physician Assistant Program. All courses are required, no transfer credit is accepted, and no credit is granted for past experiential learning.
Refer to the Bulletin of the School of Medicine for full course descriptions.
Required Pre-Clinical Year Courses
(Effective for 2017-2018 academic year)
- PHYASST-200. Basic Medical Sciences
- PHYASST-201. Physiology
- PHYASST-203. Introduction to Prevention and Population Health
- PHYASST-205. Anatomy
- PHYASST-210, 211, 212. Diagnostic Methods I, II, III
- PHYASST-220, 221, 222. Clinical Medicine I, II, III
- PHYASST-223, 224, 225. Pharmacology I, II, III
- PHYASST-230. Fundamentals of Surgery
- PHYASST-231, 232, 233. Patient Assessment and Counseling I, II, III
- PHYASST-251. Practice and the Health System I
- PHYASST-255. Evidence-Based Practice I
Pre-Clinical Year Electives
- PHYASST-261. Beginning Medical Spanish
- PHYASST-262. Intermediate Medical Spanish
- PHYASST-263. Advanced Medical Spanish