Division of Family Medicine faculty and residents are actively involved in research opportunities and seek publication often.
Division of Family Medicine faculty and residents are actively involved in research opportunities and seek publication often.
Sharon Hull, MD, MPH; Barbara Sheline, MD, MPH; and Melinda Blazar, MHS, PA-C, are collaborators on a five-year project for primary care training and enhancement, led by the Duke Physician Assistant Program. The project, funded by a $2.3 million grant from the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), is a collaboration between the Department of Community and Family Medicine, Department of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, Duke University School of Nursing and the Duke University School of Medicine MD Program. The grant period began in July 2016.
- Viera AJ. Hypertension update: Current guidelines. FP Essent. 2018 Jun;469:11-15.
- Viera AJ. Hypertension update: Hypertensive emergency and asymptomatic severe hypertension. FP Essent. 2018 Jun;469:16-19.
- Viera AJ. Hypertension update: Resistant hypertension. FP Essent. 2018 Jun;469:20-25.
- Viera AJ. Hypertension update: Older adults. FP Essent. 2018 Jun;469:26-29.
- Bynum WE 4th, Arino AR Jr. Who am I, and who do I strive to be? Applying a theory of self-conscious emotions to medical education. Acad Med. 2018 Jun;93(6):874-880.
- Hardy ST, Zeng D, Kshirsagar AV, Viera AJ, Avery CL, Heiss G. Primary prevention of chronic kidney disease through population-based strategies for blood pressure control: The ARIC study. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2018 May 23.
- Simard MR, Kiley DJ, Kinkennon SL, William BE. Promoting resilience through social connection: an intern workshop. Med Educ. 2018 Mar 24.
- Aronson S, Sangvai D, McClellan MB. Why a proactive perioperative medicine policy is crucial for a sustainable population health strategy. Anesth Analg. 2018 Feb;12(2):710-712.
- Ward DS, Vaughn AE, Hales D, Viera AJ, Gizlice Z, Bateman LA, Grummon AH, Arandia G, Linnan LA. Workplace health and safety intervention for child care staff: Rationale, design, and baseline results from the CARE cluster randomized control trial. Contemp Clin Trials. 2018 Feb 28;S1551-7144(17)30668-7.
- Raleigh MF, Wilson GA, Moss DA, Reineke-Piper KA, Walden J, Fisher DJ, Williams T, Alexander C, Niceler B, Viera AJ, Zakrajsek T. Same Content, Different Methods: Comparing Lecture, Engaged Classroom, and Simulation. Fam Med. 2018 Feb;50(2):100-105
- Hinderliter AL, Voora RA, Viera AJ. Implementing ABPM into Clinical Practice. Curr Hypertens Rep. 2018 Feb 5;20(1):5.
- DeBarmore B, Lin FC, Tuttle LA, Olsson E, Hinderliter A, Klein, JL, Viera AJ. Association of ambulatory blood pressure variability with coronary artery calcium. J Clin Hypertens. 2018 Jan 25.
- Damari ND, Ahluwalia KS, Viera AJ, Goldstein AO. Continuing medical education and firearm violence counseling. AMA J Ethics. 2018;20:56-68.
- Yano Y, Reis JP, Levine DA, Bryan RN, Viera AJ, Shimbo D, Tedla YG, Allen NB, Schreiner PJ, Bancks MP, Sidney S, Pletcher MJ, Liu K, Greenland P, Lloyd-Jones DM, Launer LJ. Visit-to-visit blood pressure variability in young adulthood and hippocampal volume and integrity at middle age: the CARDIA Study (Coronary Artery Risk Development in Yong Adults). Hypertension. 2017 Dec;70(6):1091-1098.
- Railey K, Tuttle B, Weiss J, Are you SURE you want to send that? A model for e-mail professionalism in medical education. J Phys Assist Ed. 2017 Dec;28(4):205-209.
- Viera AJ. Vasectomy and other vassal occlusion techniques for male contraception. In: UpToDate, Post TW (Ed), Waltham, MA, updated Nov 2017.
- Barzin AH, Viera AJ. Anticoagulation management. In: Essential Evidence Plus, Ebell MH, Brown SR (Eds), Wiley & Sons, 2017.
- Bytomski JR. Fueling for performance. Sports Health. 2017 Nov 1.
- Nabors LB, Portnow J, Ammirati M, Baehring J, Brem H, Butowski N, Fenstermaker RA, Forsyth P, Hattangadi-Gluth J, Holdhoff M, Howard S, Junck L, Kaley T, Kumthekar P, Loeffler JS, Moots PL, Mrugala MM, Nagpal S, Pandey M, Parney I, Peters K, Puduvalli VK, Ragsdale J 3rd, Rockhill J, Rogers L, Rusthoven C, Shonka N, Shrieve DC, Sills AK Jr, Swinne LJ, Tsien C, Weiss S, Wen PY, Willmarth N, Bergman MA, Engh A. NCCN guidelines insights: central nervous system cancers, version 1.2017. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2017 Nov;15(11):1331-1345.
- Bynum WE. Hardly Full Metal Jacket: what we can learn from a military learning environment. J Grad Med Educ. 2017 Oct;9(5):657-658.
- Bynum WE, Artino AR Jr. Who am I, and who do I strive to be? Applying a theory of self-conscious emotions to medical education. Acad Med. 2017 Oct 24.
- Yano Y, Reis JP, Levine DA, Bryan RN, Viera AJ, et al. Visit-to-visit blood pressure variability in young adulthood and hippocampal volume and integrity at middle age: The CARDIA Study (Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults). Hypertension. 2017 Oct 9.
- Bynum W, Varpio L. When I say… hermeneutic phenomenology. Med Ed. 2017 Sep 12.
- Viera AJ, Tuttle L, Olsson E, Gras-Najjar J, Gizlice Z, Hales D, Linnan L, Lin FC, Noar SM, Ammerman A. Effects of physical activity calorie expenditure (PACE) labeling: study design and baseline sample characteristics. BMC Public Health. 2017 Sep 12;17(1):702.
- Berkowitz C, Allen DH, Tenhover J, Zullig LL, Ragsdale J 3rd, Fischer JE, Pollak KI, Koontz BF. Knowledge and preferences of primary care providers in delivering head and neck cancer survivorship care. J Cancer Educ. 2017 Jul 14.
- Neumann JA, Zgonis MH, Rickert KD, Bradley KE, Kremen TJ, Boggess BR, Toth AP. Interposition dermal matrix xenografts: a successful alternative to traditional treatment of massive rotator cuff tears. Am J Sports Med. 2017 May;45(6):1261-1268.
- Boggess B, Moorman C. Partial pectoralis tear treated with orthobiologics: a case report. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2017 Mar/Apr;16(2):74-76.
- Railey K. Inclusive Excellence. In: Kaying G, Hass V eds. The Health Professions Educator: A Practical Guide for New and Established Faculty. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company. 2017.
- Lobach DF, Johns EB, Halpenny B, Saunders T-A, Brzozowski J, Del Fiol G, Berry DL, Braun IM, Finn K, Wolfe J, Abrahm JL, Cooley ME. Increasing complexity in rule-based clinical decision support: the symptom assessment and management intervention. JMIR Medical Informatics. 2016;4(4):e36
- Bonnet JP, Edshteyn I, Phillips EM, Hull SK, Polak R. Perspectives on a lifestyle medicine fellowship curriculum from interested medical students. Am J Lifestyle Med. 2016 Dec.
- Railey MT, Railey KM, Hauptman PJ. Reducing bias in academic search committees. JAMA. 2016 Dec 27;3016(24):2595-96.
- Everett CM, Martinez-Bianchi V, Morgan P, Gradison M, Hills K, Weigle NJ, Dieter PM, Hull S, Strand de Oliveira J, Michener L. Dr. Carek’s commentary on training PAs and NPs. Fam Med. 2016 Oct;48(9):742-43.
- Han J, Cohen, C. High-value intervention: providing colorectal cancer screening. Current Psych. 2016 Oct;15(10):34-48.
- Yeatts JP, Sangvai D. HCC codding, risk adjustment, and physician income: what you need to know. Fam Pract Manag. 2016 Sep-Oct;23(5):24-7.
- Martinez-Bianchi, V. The emergency physical. Fam Med. 2016 Sep;48(8):645-6.
- Worley P, Couper I, Strasser R, Graves L, Cummings B, Woodman R, Stagg P, Hirsch D. CLIC Research Collaborative (inc Sheline B). A typology of longitudinal integrated clerkships. Med Ed. 2016 Sep;50(9):922-32.
- Sangvai DG. Pivoting to value-based care in North Carolina. NC Med J. 2016 Jul-Aug;77(4):254-6.
- Coeytaux RR, Befus D. Role of acupuncture in the treatment or prevention of migraine, tension-type headache, or chronic headache disorders. Headache. 2016 Jul; 56(7):1238-40.
- Goldstein KM, Coeytaux RR, Shepherd-Banigan M, Goode AP, McDuffie JR, Befus D, Adam S, Masilamani V, Van Noord M, Nagi A, Wing L, Williams JW Jr. Nonpharmacologic treatments for menopause-associated vasomotor symptoms. Washington (DC): Department of Veterans Affairs (US); 2016 July.
- Sangvai D. Eating disorders in the primary care setting. Prim Care. 2016 Jun;43(2):301-12.
- Avis NE, Coeytaux RR, Isom S, Prevette K, Morgan T. Acupuncture in Menopause (AIM) study; a pragmatic, randomized controlled trial. Menopause. 2016 Jun; 23(6):626-37.
- Tuccero D, Railey K, Briggs M, Hull SK. Behavioral health in prevention and chronic illness management: motivational interviewing. Prim Care. 2016 Jun;43(2):191-202.
- Goldstein KM, McDuffie JR, Shepherd-Banigan M, Befus D, Coeytaux RR, Van Noord MG, Goode AP, Masilamani V, Adam S, Nagi A, Williams JW Jr. Nonpharmacologic, nonherbal management of menopause-associated vasomotor symptoms: an umbrella systematic review (protocol). Syst Rev. 2016; April 7; 5:56.
- Goode AP, Coeytaux RR, McDuffie J, Duan-Porter W, Sharma P, Mennella H, Nagi A, Williams JW Jr. An evidence map of yoga for low back pain. Complement Ther Med. 2016 Apr; 25:170-7.
- Duan-Porter W, Coeytaux RR, McDuffie J, Goode A, Sharma P, Mennella H, Nagi A, Williams JW Jr. Evidence map of yoga for depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder. J Phys Act Health. 2016 Mar; 13(3):281-8.
- MacPherson H, Hammerschlag R, Coeytaux RR, Davis RT, Harris RE, Kong JT, Langevin HM, Lao L, Milley RJ, Napadow V, Schnyer RN, Stener-Victorin E, Witt CM, Wayne PM. Unanticipated insights into biomedicine from the study of acupuncture. J Altern Complement Med. 2016 Feb; 22(2):101-7.
- Gibson P, Wang G, McGarvey L, Vertigan AE, Altman KW, Birring SS; CHEST Expert Cough Panel. (inc Coeytaux R) Treatment of unexplained chronic cough: CHEST guideline and expert panel report. Chest. 2016 Jan;149(1):27-44.
- Cohen C, Han J. Colorectal Cancer. In: McCarron RM, et al, ed. Preventive Medical Care in Psychiatry: A Practical Guide for Clinicians. 1st ed. Arlington, VA: Amer Psychiatric Pub; 2015:313-327.
- Michener JL, Silberberg M, Ortega L, eds. Duke Community and Family Medicine. Population health graduate education milestones: a report to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Association of American Medical Colleges. 2015. Durham, NC.
- Vickery KD, Rindfleisch K, Benson J, Furlong J, Martinez-Bianchi V, Richardson CR. Preparing the next generation of family physicians to improve population health: a CERA study. Fam Med. 2015 Nov-Dec;47(10):782-8.
- Hull S, Weidner A, Michener JL; ADFM Healthcare Delivery Transformation Committee. Partnering for transformation: a menu of many points of entry for your department. Ann Fam Med. 2015 Nov;13(6):593-5.
- Dieter PM, Hudak NM, Robinson PR. Promoting faculty professionalism: a case-base approach. Perspect Med Ed. 2015 Aug;4(4):188-190.
- Goldhagen BE, Kingsolver K, Stinnett SS, Rosdahl JA. Stress and burnout in residents: impact of mindfulness-based resilience training. Adv Med Educ Pract. 2015 Aug;2015(6):525-32.
- Hull S. Capsule commentary on Goldman et al., comparative effectiveness of multifaceted outreach to initiate colorectal cancer screening in community health centers: a randomized controlled trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2015 Aug;30(8):1191.
- Shaw RJ, Bonnet JP, Modarai F, George A, Shahsahebi M. Mobile health technology for personalized primary care medicine. Am J Med. 2015 Jun;128(6):555-7.
- Gallagher P, King HA, Haga SB, Orlando LA, Joy SV, Trujillo GM, Scott WM, Bembe M, Creighton DL, Cho AH, Ginsburg GS, Vordrstrasse A. Patient beliefs and behaviors about genomic risk for Type 2 Diabetes: Implications for prevention. J Health Comm: Int’l Perspectives. 2015 Apr.
- Baughman KR, Burke RC, Hewit MS, Sudano JJ, Meeker J, Hull SK. Associations between difficulty paying medical bills and forgone medical and prescription drug care. Popul Health Manag. 2015 Apr.
- Jackson C, Shahsahebi M, Wedlake T, DuBard CA. Timeliness of outpatient follow-up: an evidence-based approach for planning after hospital discharge. Ann Fam Med. 2015 Mar;13(2):115-22.
- Schneider S, Kingsolver K, Rosdahl J. Can physician self-care enhance patient-centered healthcare? Qualitative findings from a physician well-being coaching program. J Fam Med. 2015 Jan;2(1).
- Schneider S, Kingsolver K, Rosdahl J. Physician coaching to enhance well-being: a qualitative analysis of a pilot intervention. Explore. 2014 Nov/Dec;10(6):372-9.
- Blackburn JT, Pamukoff DN, Sakr M, Vaughan AJ, and Berkoff DJ. Whole Body and Local Muscle Vibration Reduce Artificially Induced Quadriceps Arthrogenic Inhibition. Arch Phys Med and Rehab. 2014 Nov;5(11): 2021-2028.
McLendon AN, Woodis CB. A review of osteoporosis management in younger premenopausal women. Women’s Health. 2014 Oct;10(1):1-19.
- Peyser B, Daily KA, Hudak NM, Railey K, abd Bosworth HB. Enlisting New Teachers in Clinical Environments (ENTICE); novel ways to engage clinicians. Adv Med Educ Pract. 2014 Oct;5:359-67.
- Sheline B, Tran AN, Jackson J, Peyser B, Rogers S, Engle D. The Primary Care Leadership Track at the Duke University School of Medicine: creating change agents to improve population health. Academic Med. 2014 Oct;89(10):1370-4.
- Danford C, Sheline B, Martinez-Bianchi V, Blazar M, Dieter P, Weigle N. Course on care of patients with chronic illness: patient-centered medical home model. Ed for Health. 2014 Aug;27(2).
Fischer J (contributing author). Improving Care for People with Serious Illness through Innovative Payer-Provider Partnerships: A Toolkit from the Center for Advancement of Palliative Care. June 2014.
- Sakr M, Ciocca M. Medications and Athletes. DeLee & Drez’s Orthopaedic Sports Medicine, 4th Edition. Elsevier. Jun 2014.
- Puchalski CM, Vitillo R, Hull SH, Reller N. Improving the spiritual dimension of whole person care: reaching national and international consensus. J Palliat Med. 2014 Jun;17(6):642-56.
- Ragsdale JW, Halstater B, Martinez-Bianchi V. Prostate cancer screening. Prim Care. 2014 Jun;41(2):355-70.
- Bundeff AW, Woodis CB. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Ann Pharmacother. 2014 Jun;48(6):777-84.
- Fischer J (contributing author). Accountable Care Guide for Hospice and Palliative Care. Toward Accountable Care Consortium Toolkit. North Carolina Medical Society. Raleigh, NC. April 30, 2014.
- Berkoff D, Sakr M. Corrected Error Video vs PT Instructed Home Exercise Program: Accuracy of Performing Therapeutic Exercises. Clin J Sport Med. 2014 Mar;24(2):166.
- Railey K, and Hudak N. Physician Assistant students’ perceptions of physical examination skill development for the male genitourinary examination. (poster abstract) J Phys Asst Ed. 2014; 25(2):30.
- Sheline B, Silberberg M, Blazar M, Halstater B, Michener JL. Population health initiatives for primary care at Duke University School of Medicine. N C Med J. 2014 Jan;75(1):33-35.
- McLendon AN and Woodis CB. A review of osteoporosis management in younger premenopausal women. Women’s Health. 2014;10(1):1-19.